Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grace Like a Deer


Earlier this week, a friend shared some verses from Habakkuk on her blog. I love the passage these verses are in so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it with you!

I had the opportunity to study the book of Habakkuk a number of years back when I was at Capernwray Harbour Bible School & Conference Centre (of Torchbearers International). At the time I wasn't too interested in studying this book, but as I delved into the study I quickly changed my attitude. It has since then become probably my most favorite book of the Bible.

If I was to summarize the book of Habakkuk in one short sentence, it would be "God's faithfulness never changes". How amazing is that?!

The book starts out with the prophet Habakkuk complaining to the LORD (1:2). "How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen?..." (Thank You, Lord, that even when it feels You are not listening, You ARE.) And the LORD answers the prophet by saying (1:5,6), "Look at the nations and watch - and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. I am raising up the Babylonians, that ruthless and impetuous people...".

The prophet complains again (1:13), "Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong. Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?..." (Thank You, Lord, that even though at times it feels like the hard times will never end, You know when they will end.) And again, the LORD answers Habakkuk (2:2,3), "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets...For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. ...". The LORD finishes up with some "Woe to him...'s".

Then comes chapter 3, my favorite chapter! Habakkuk responds to the LORD by saying (3:2), "LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy. ...". (I stand in awe of You, Jesus, because of Your mercy, grace and love for me!)

Then Habakkuk finishes up with the following verses. Every time I read these verses (16-19) it's as if there is a symphony in my head, playing softly at first, then with each statement, the music becomes louder, stronger, more celebratory, holding out and waiting for the final resounding note.

These verses are so exciting!

Habakkuk 3:16-19

"I heard and my heart pounded,
my lips quivered at the sound;
decay crept into my bones,
and my legs trembled.
Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity
to come on the nation invading us.
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD
,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign L
ORD
is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights."

Did you hear it? The symphony?! Isn't it amazing?! Even though everything around me is in utter disarray, the crops have failed, the sheep and cattle are gone, "yet I will rejoice in the Lord"!

Shortly before I attending Capernwray, I was driving alone along a winding road. On one side of the road was a forest and on the other side was a steep rockface mountainside. As I was peacefully driving, a sudden thought broke my silence. "What if there is a deer ahead?"

Immediately I heeded the warning in my head and slowed down, becoming more aware of my surroundings. As I rounded the next corner, there in front of me was a deer, standing in the middle of the road! Because I had that "thought" and had listened to it, I was able to slow down enough before the deer pranced away up the mountainside.

A couple things struck me. First, WOW! God had warned me of a danger ahead! Thank you, Jesus!

Second, the way the deer turned and pranced up the mountainside was amazing. It was so graceful. With only a bound or two the deer was off the road and with another couple prances, it was out of sight. If I was to climb that mountainside I would be scared, slow-moving, grasping for the next place to cling on to. But this deer, without thought bounced, 1 - 2 - 3, and was gone! Such grace, such strength, and without hesitation.

"The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights."

Thank You, Jesus, for life experiences that help me better understand Your words in the Bible. Thank You that You are my strength and that I can depend on You, even when it feels everything around me is crumbling. Thank You for making my feet like those of a deer, enabling me to go on the difficult heights with grace.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing, so precious.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thanks Leanne.

Pam

Keith - Kristen said...

You made it sound so much more exciting.
I guess these verses, for me where more of a plea right now in my life. I want it to be exciting and will let your insight on these verses be more of an inspiration to me to see as that. Thanks.