"Inspired by a true story, (Denzel) Washington shines as a brilliant but politically radical debate team coach who uses the power of words to transform a group of underdog African American college students into an historical powerhouse that took on the Harvard elite. Featuring a superb cast of rising young actors, "The Great Debaters is marvelous entertainment that you should not miss" (Andrew Sarris, The New York Observer)."
"The Great Debaters" is based on a true story. The bonus features show amazing interviews with the original people this moving story is based on. Before filming, the actors were able to meet the person they were portraying. After watching the interviews it was clear the actors did an amazing job portraying these heroic figures of American history.
I was not prepared for the depth this movie delves into: the political history of the African American people, racism, etc., but the passion that was portrayed left me with utter respect for the African American people and a disgust for the racism they experienced.
"The Great Debaters" is moving and inspirational with a touch of humor mixed in. It has two scenes that we fast-forwarded because of the sexual content although the second one (near the end) ended up being a false alarm. These days you never know how graphic things will be; the first one didn't appear to be very graphic, but as I said, we did fast-forward it). There are also a couple parts that I chose to look away simply because I don't like seeing people suffer (although I don't remember any visually graphic violence). Despite these two things, I would love to see this movie again and definately recommend it.
If you watch this movie or have already seen it, I would love to hear your comments! Below is a trailer for "The Great Debaters".





No comments:
Post a Comment