Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thankful Thursday


Today is "Thankful Thursday". I have never participated in it before, but today I have something I feel compelled to share. I first saw it at Heather's blog, "Mumblings of a Mommy 'Monk'", but I believe it originated at Iris' blog "Sting My Heart". If you want to participate in "Thankful Thursday", go to Iris' blog and leave your link on Mr. Linky. So here goes...!


I was reading a post by Heather at "Mumblings of a Mommy 'Monk'". I must say that this post was very good and I encourage you to read it! Click here to read this post. It's about the tone that mothers set for the home, based on the saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" Definately worth reading the post.

But back to my point. A few posts ago I wrote about "Joy???" and feeling like I didn't have it at the time. Since then, I have struggled to feel like I have joy.

I left a comment on Heather's blog because I was really able to relate to what she shared about moms setting the family tone. While I was leaving a comment, I quickly read through the other comments. A lady named Christin, of "As Gold Refined", left a comment that really spoke to me. Christin made a comment about the difference between joy and happiness. Here is part of what she said:

"Joy isn't the same thing as happiness. Happiness comes as a result of circumstances - joy remains no matter what your circumstances - you can be unhappy and still have joy. Joy is a promise from the Lord and it is obtainable - we just need to seek Him first. :) As we continue to do that, He will continue to mold us. We just need to remember to keep moving forward with our eyes on Him. :) Yes, we are certainly works in progress! And God promised to complete the work in us if we don't grow weary in doing good."

Although it was encouraging to read that explanation between the two, I still struggled to feel the joy. As much as I loved what Christin wrote, I felt that I still wasn't "getting it" with the whole "Joy" thing.

Well, last night, our church small group met. Instead of doing our regular routine, we spent the evening praying and having communion. We prayed for people in our church, whoever God put on our heart. We were able to get through quite a few people. Have you ever spent time praying in a group, and when you were finished praying no one spoke right away? That's how it was last night.

It was so good to spend that time, bringing people before our almighty, caring God. I am so thankful for that time last night. After our prayer time was over I felt the joy return to my heart. "Joy is a promise from the Lord and it is obtainable - we just need to seek Him first." In order to seek God first, we need to take our eyes off ourself! Coming before God in prayer is an excellent way of doing this.

I am thankful for fellow Christians who share a passion for praying. I am thankful I shifted my focus off my own woes to consider other people and how they are hurting. I am thankful that I can have joy even when I don't feel happy. I am thankful for a God who never changes, who is always waiting for us to come before Him, who wants to bless us in ways we never imagined (big or small).

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Welcome to Thankful Thursday! I too am thankful for praying friends. Without them these past 6 months I don't know where my family would be. It is so great to call on friends and request prayer and know they will pray!

Have a great week!

Susan said...

I'm so blessed you decided to join us today. Welcome, welcome to Thankful Thursday!

Your testimony was very special, and I'm so blessed God used these other women to minister to you.

It's so nice to meet you! Be blessed and never lose your passion for prayer♥

Amanda said...

Welcome to TT. I just started last week. Actually, I've only been blogging for about six weeks, but I am so loving it. I love to talk about Jesus and his work in my life. More than that I love to read about his work in other people's lives. Your post about Joy vs. Happiness is great and your prayer meeting sounded so AWESOME!!

eph2810 said...

What a powerful post! I so agree with Christin - we might not be happy about/in our circumstance, but we can always be joyful in the Lord.
I am glad that you were able to pray with your group last night and God spoke during your time praying for others to your own heart.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us this week. Welcome to the Thankful Thursday 'bunch'. Hope to see you often.

Blessings to you and yours...

a portland granny said...

I have seen the Thankful Thursday picture and wanted to know how to get it, and here I landed at your blog and you have the instructions. That is very special to me.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you through your blog and will bookmark it so I can find my way back!!

This blogging is a little overwhelming to me at times

Thanks for sharing about your prayer time. That was encouraging!

Joan

Susan said...

Prayer is so important and so neglected. As I think I said before, Joy is one of the 9 attributes of the Spirit. So joyful for you!!!
Susan

Melissa in Mel's World said...

What a great and awesome Gift He gives freely to each and every one of us...