Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Joy???

I don't have joy in my life right now.

That is the conclusion I came to today. Jeremy and I are in the midst of some potentially major changes in our church. The processing within the leadership has been going on for close to four months now. We are tired of the processing, yet at the same time know that it is a very important step in the decision making.

Because I am on our church board, I have had a number of extra meetings to attend over the past few months. Each of these meetings brings with it a big weight of consideration, prayer, seeking God and discernement. That can get tiring after awhile!

Today as I sat down to do my devotions, I opened up a book I started reading awhile back, "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" by John Piper. I picked up where I had left off and wouldn't you know it, the chapter is called "The Indestructible Joy"! How fitting! To be honest though, when I started reading the chapter, I had to re-read several sections over and over again because my mind just wasn't connecting - until I got to a verse that Piper quoted:

John 15:11
"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."

Suddenly, my wandering thoughts came to a hault. "Joy. I don't have joy in my life right now." I am almost at the point where I just don't care anymore. I know that apathy is NOT from God, so that means it's from Satan. Suddenly I am wanting to run as far away from apathy as fast as I can.

How can a person have joy in the midst of struggles?


Philippians 4:4
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"

Philippians 3:13b,14
"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:6,7
"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


I am seeking God for His joy.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Correcting an area in our life starts with recognition and it sounds like the recognition came to you this morning. I pray for you Leanne that joy, one of the attributes of the Holy Spirit, may burst forth in your life. I know it will if you just seek God and Him only. Too often we get our eyes on all the "other" things.
This sound very preachy!!!! But know that I do care.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great that our God is a God of miracles?! Even in the midst of 'life' he will speak to us and show us what is important. I will pray that in all things you will rejoice and I know that you will be able to see things from God's perspective and you won't feel like you are drowning. Love Karen (sis)

Heather said...

That sounds like a great book. I love his writing. Joy has been a theme in my life recently too - I love Philippians and John 15 and used them both at a retreat 2 weeks ago. Joy comes from Christ in us and from our life of obedience. I've struggled to find joy, but I'm realizing that when I surrender my will to Him, the joy comes flowing in. Joyfully, Heather