Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Quenchable Thirst

I have recently been reminded of the Beatitudes in Matthew 5. It has been some time since I've read through them. My parents' church has been working through the beatitudes lately. For some reason the things my Mom has shared with me just haven't been connecting with me.

This past weekend, we had my parent's pastor stay the night at our place. It was a time of encouragement, challenging us and, as he always does with people, he pointed us closer to Jesus.

The beatitudes came up in our conversation. This time, one of them connected with me!

Matthew 5:6
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled."

That is what I have been experiencing lately. My emptiness, my thirst, my feeling like I might explode inside - it has been (and is continuing to be) filled.

I am really noticing too that a daily "refueling" is necessary. On the days when I don't read my Bible, journal, pray, when I don't spend time with God, I begin to feel empty again. A couple years ago, I would get to this point, feel incredible guilt about not connecting with God and would talk myself out of spending time with Him (my confession list will be too long, where would I start?...). Such lies! Satan is so subtle.

But no more! Somewhere in my heart the door has been closed on those lies. They aren't welcome anymore. I know that if I have a period of time in between dates with God, it's okay. He is waiting for me with open arms. And all those times before when I thought I couldn't go back to God, His open arms were waiting for me.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled." Oh that is such a wonderful promise, such comfort and encouragement to carry on!

3 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Yes I so know what you are saying. I need to get into the Word so much. My mind can just wander all over the place if left to it's own devices that's for sure!! Been feeling flat as a pancake today, the kind of day where you can't even crack a meaningful smile and it melts off your face - not down, just dog tired...so thought - OK can whine and whinge (which I'm good at) or start thanking God for all the blessings one by one speaking them out (my daughter joined in which was cool this morning) and choosing to rejoice in today, in God. There is such a tendency to want to live off our feelings and they don't always line up with the truth. Bless you and your family heaps, I pray that God protects you all and holds you in this time of storm.

Cheri said...

Hi, I came by way of the comment you left on my devotion at Faith Lifts. I am glad that it was an encouragment for you.

As I read through this post it I was taken back to a time not so long ago, when I too, felt dry. I realized that God would reveal himself to me if I would only seek him. I am seeking and he is making himself known, What a faithful God we have. Thanks for this post!

~ Cheri

Anonymous said...

So glad you shared about hungering and thirsting for God, and for His Word, and how that has grown in you. It has in me, also. God has been so patient to teach me, and ... then wait, while I ponder it, and ... as I give over more and more "rights" to Him, "surrendering" more and more to whatever He wants in my life. He just wants us to trust Him more fully, with each new day, with every area of our lives submitted to His desire / pleasure for us. He Loves us so perfectly, in such a holy way! Hallelujah! What an awesome God we serve! Thank you for sharing, dear sister in Christ Jesus!