"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your caling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
God gives us "everything we need for life and godliness...". Our youth pastor created a picture for us. Imagine that you were planning a backpacking trip. Imagine that God gives you a backpack and tells you that everything you will need for your trip is in that backpack. You have a couple choices. You can ignore the backpack, not look inside or use what's been given to you; or you can accept it and use the necessary items for your trip.
"For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." Next our youth pastor explained that "'Everything is permissable' - but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible' - but not everything is constructive" (I Corinthians 10:23). There are a lot of things out there that are good and fun, but not everything is beneficial for us. Our youth pastor asked us the question: "What can you give up in order to "make every effort" to increase Christ-like qualities in your life?"
One of the examples he gave was that in order to prepare for his sermon this week he had to spend large amounts of time studying and researching. He admitted that in a normal week he spends quite a bit of time playing games on the computer. This past week, he had to be more disciplined and constructive with his time in order to prepare for the sermon. Most everyone has a busy life (work, school, caring for the home, sports...) but at some point we need to "make every effort" to increase Christ in our life. Perhaps something has "to give", be let go.
I got to thinking. I often spend large amounts of time on the computer reading and being encouraged by blogs. I feel like I've made some good blog friends over the past few months and, almost daily, have been encouraged by these women seeking to know God more and to bring Him glory in their everyday lives. Yet, while keeping up with my blog friends has been a source of encouragement to me, I feel God is nudging me (okay, poking me) to spend more time with Him than with my blog friends. I don't feel God is asking me to give up blogging all together, just to make Him my first priority.
Along that thought, a point that was made tonight really struck me: "What I don't choose to be deliberate with takes control in my life and leads to sin." If I don't take control of the time I spend blogging, it will end up becoming a source of sin in my life rather than a source of encouragement or an avenue for me to encourage others.
Our youth pastor finished off by challenging and encouraging us:
What needs to be added to your faith?
We can ask God, "What do You desire for there to be more of in my life?"
Obedience renews! I liked that point. Obedience renews. It's so true! There is such a sense of release and freedom when we know that we are obeying God.
These past couple weeks have been more of a slump for me, spiritually. The change in routine made it more difficult for me to do my devotions. While we were away, I did have opportunities to spend time with God but for whatever reason I chose to put it off. Something I'm still trying to work at.
Obedience renews! Time for some renewal, time for me to listen to God and to obey Him! How about you? "What can you give up in order to "make every effort" to increase Christ-like qualities in your life?"





No comments:
Post a Comment