Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thankful Thursday


Earlier this week I was thinking ahead to today and wondering what I would write about for Thankful Thursday. At the time I was struggling to find things to be thankful for. By yesterday I was anxiously awaiting today so I could share.

This past week or so has been particularly hard for me. We had a church meeting last night to determine the direction our church will go. It has been eight months of praying, seeking God, devouring His Word, processing with friends and family and surrendering our desires into God's hands.

Last night the decision was made final. Our church has decided to merge with another church in town. From the beginning Jeremy & I have not been at peace with this direction. Throughout our processing and seeking Him, we believe that God is calling us in a different direction. We don't know where that direction will take us but we have a peace (that goes beyond our understanding) that we are on the path marked for us. We love our church family so much. It hurts to say good-bye to them, but when God tells you to do something, it is better to do it than to disobey, even if it hurts.

Now for what I'm thankful for! Today, I am giving thanks to God for:

  • His incredible love and patience (the processing times aren't very easy)
  • The Bible, which is living and active
  • My friends who have cried with me during this process
  • My church family who, although they are being called in on a different path, have respected our stand and still love us

Throughout these past eight months I have been encouraged by a number of different verses, some of which I've shared on my blog. Lately, the verses that have given me the strength to carry forward are:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5,6).

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6,7).

Check out other thankful hearts at "Sting My Heart".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to obey God when you're not sure of the future. He never leads us wrong!

Denise said...

God loves you dear one.

Beth K. Vogt said...

Sometimes God's direction doesn't make sense--but you are oh-so-wise to follow him as he leads you. I pray you continue to feel his peace during this time of transition.
Beth@TheAccidentalPharisee

Anonymous said...

I especially like the part of Proverbs 3:5-6 that says "lean not on our own understanding". Some days that is how we make it through. We don't understand, but we know that we can trust God and his understanding. Karen (sis)

Chris said...

Praise God your husband and you are on the same page, and that God is speaking to both of you and giving you peace-leaving a family of like-minded believers is NEVER easy, but following God's lead is ALWAYS the best move.
Blessings
Chris

eph2810 said...

I can not even imagine how hard it much be for you to say goodbye to your church family. But like you said - we have to follow His leading us - even if it hurts. I am glad that He has given you the peace that you need to move on.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us.

Be blessed today and always...

southmsmomof4 said...

I am so glad that you have the peace of God in this transitioning time of your lives. What great scriptures to meditate on during this time of your life. Please keep me in your prayers. I am going through a similar ( not exact just similar) time in my life and really need God's direction. Thanks so much for sharing the way you have. Be blessed,
Stacy