Jeremy and I were channel surfing tonight when we came upon the Gaither's singing on Vision TV. They were promoting their album/DVD called Rock of Ages. At the time we turned to the channel, there were three people, the Martins - of the singing group One Voice, singing a song that instantly brought back a flood of wonderful memories.
Have you ever experienced that? Ever heard a song and all your senses remember the original time of experiencing it?
I can remember it now as if I had just happened. I was 18 years old, at bible school, singing in the choir. This particular Sunday our choir was singing in a small community church, the same community where the bible school was located. I remember the church being small (no more than 100 people, probably more like 50-75) and wooden (the church is on a small island, surrounded by nature; the church was built to fit its surroundings).
Our choir sang our rehearsed songs, then listened to the sermon. During the end of the service, one of the older congregants had a medical emergency and friends and family helped to take her to get medical help. To help refocus the service, the pastor requested our choir to sing one of our songs again.
The song we sang is called "All People That On Earth Do Dwell". Each time our choir sang this song, we sang it a cappella standing in a circle facing the congregation. The tenors, sopranos, altos and basses were all interspersed, helping the harmony to sound more mixed. It also made it more difficult for each of us singing because we couldn't listen to the person next to us if we forgot a note! But the effect of it was breathtaking! I remember having chills on more that one occassion while singing this song . This Sunday morning was no exception.
So tonight when I heard that ancient hymn being sung so beautifully by the Martin's, I began searching the internet to find the words. I found several sites with words and even music, but better still, I found a YouTube clip of the Martin's singing the song! I just had to share it with you!
And maybe, just maybe, if you turn up the volume and close your eyes, you'll hear my voice, along with my fellow bible school choir members, singing praises to Jesus!
Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
3 days ago





2 comments:
Wow! Absolutely amazing group! Makes me miss singing in a choir. Thank you for sharing that!
You actually got to see these guys live?! Wow! What a talented bunch!
I enjoyed listening to many of the clips of the Martins. There are so many good things out there that we just don't know about. Thanks for sharing. Karen (sis)
Post a Comment