Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thankful Thursday


It's Thursday again, which in the blogging world means it's Thankful Thursday. I've been having a difficult time finding things to be thankful for that I can't or don't quickly dismiss with negativity. But after spending some time with God things are getting better.

I finished the book of Hosea today! I get excited when I finish reading a book of the bible. It's a sense of accomplishment; something I struggle with - accomplishing things!

Anyway! I over the past several months, I have been reading through some Old Testament books. I find that the more I read these books, the more I gain a better understanding of the relationship between God and Israel, which in turn gives me a better understanding of my relationship with God. So many times the Israelites complained and God supplied their needs; they wanted idols like the surrounding nations so they built them; they wanted kings and princes like the other nations so God gave them their desires:

"Where is your king, that he may save you? Where are your rulers in all your towns, of whom you said, 'Give me a king and princes'? So in my anger I gave you a king, and in my wrath I took him away" Hosea 13:10,11.

I looked back at all the times I've been selfish, complained, and stomped my foot at God. I thought back over the years about how I struggled to feel close to God. I would have times of closeness (often during the height of a trial), but after the trial subsided, I would grow distant from God again. Then I would feel guilty about not maintaining my relationship with Christ. It really is a terrible roller coaster ride. Thankfully, last fall I really grasped the understanding that God isn't standing there ready to punish me for all my shortcomings and disobedience. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences for our actions (or lack thereof). But what I realized this past fall is that God is simply waiting for me with open arms, wanting me to see His love for me.

If you don't know, the the first three chapters of Hosea are a beautiful illustration of how God instructs the prophet Hosea to take back his adulterous wife, over and over again. God uses this relationship to parallel His relationship with Israel. Chapters 4 through 13 describe God's warning, judgement and punishment for Israel because of their disobedience, with the exception of chapter 11. Tucked nicely amongst all the "doom and gloom" chapter 11 describes God's never-ending love for Israel.

"How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel?...My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor devastate Ephraim again. For I am God, and not man - the Holy One among you. I will not come in wrath" Hosea 11:8,9.

The book ends with chapter 14, a chapter about repentance bringing a blessing to the God's chosen people.

"Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: 'Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips'" Hosea 14:2.

Then there is God's response to their repentance:

"I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, my anger has turned away from them" Hosea 14:4.

This is the verse that really struck me this morning. I love that part: "and love them freely". Freely; without reservation; without traces of bitterness, resentment or anger. Love them FREELY! That is how God loves me (and you!)! Despite all the times I fail Him, He loves me with a pure love - no bitterness, resentment or attitude; FREELY! No matter what I've done or will do in the future, God loves me. Yes, I still need to deal with the consequences of my actions, and no, this doesn't mean that my life will be easy. But it means that God loves me despite my shortcomings. There is a freedom in that for me.

So, today I am thankful for God's free love for me! I'd love to hear what are you thankful for. Just leave a comment and let's praise God together! To share in Thankful Thursday, visit Iris at Sting My Heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you could write bible studies. When you have a home church again, I think you should consider it. You have a good way of putting your thoughts onto paper (or computer)and sharing your thoughts with others. Karen (sis)

The Olson's: said...

Karen ~ What do you mean "when you have a home church again"? You're scaring me!

Living Beyond said...

I'm just thankful for you today - I am thankful for you love and desire for the Word and for understanding - I am thankful for the thoughts that you have shared and the sweet spirit that you have.

Thank you Lord