Yesterday afternoon we met some friends at a local farm. This farm sells ice cream that they make (mmmm!) and has a barn open for visiting the cows and whatever else is in the barn.
The closest I got to the cows
Now, if you know me personally then you know how much I don't "do" farms. Before I got married I had a list of "qualifications", non-negotiables if you will, that I was trying to abide by for choosing a husband. If my memory serves me correctly, this was the list (not a comprehensive list):
- I won't marry someone from Bible College (technically Jeremy & I didn't meet at Bible college, we met off campus at a kids' ministry!)
- I won't marry someone younger than me (Jeremy is two years younger than me)
- I won't marry someone from Vancouver Island (Jeremy is also from Vancouver Island)
- I won't marry a pastor (Jeremy has a heart for ministry and if someday God calls him into a pastoral role then we would accept)
- I won't marry a farmer
First of all, please be sure that wasn't my full list. I really am not that shallow! Anyway, as you can tell, the first four "I won't"s went out the window when I met Jeremy! Somehow those four didn't matter anymore. But, the one I just couldn't compromise on was the "farmer" one. I have never been able to tolerate farm smells: hay makes me gag, farm animals have a "certain" aroma, etc. I have tried through the years but I have simply learned that it's better for me to avoid farm situations than to explore them.
All of that said, I went to this farm yesterday with my family & friends. On the way there, when I realized that we were going to a real farm (as opposed to a place that has a little petting "zoo" that sells ice cream) I said to Jeremy, "Is this our friends' way of getting me to a real farm?!" As much as I don't like farms, I appreciate what they give us (food, milk, etc) and the hard work and sacrifice it takes to run a farm. And I am trying really hard not to taint my children's perspective of farms and all that goes along with them. So far I think we're okay. Jeremy and the kids went in the barn to check out the cows and my kids loved it. I happily waited outside. I love that my kids enjoy farms and part of me wishes I could tolerate the smell.
After the kids washed their hands from looking at the cows, they ran to the play area. Daniel loved climbing up and sitting on the tractor. He was so proud! Photo courtesy of Daniel
After checking out the little store, we went back to our friends' place and enjoyed some of the nummy ice cream cones (Bubble Gum and Caramel Swirl - separate, not mixed!). After some visiting we headed home. I popped the kids into the bath and tucked them into bed.
~ ~ ~
While I put the kids to bed, Jeremy went over to our neighbor's and helped him pick up some wooden planks from the store and take them to his backyard. We are really enjoying getting to know our neighbors more. Jeremy is always looking for ways to connect with our neighbors. The ones on either side of us are not Christians (yet) so with each friendly interaction and helping hand, we hope that they will be able to see Jesus in us, in our everyday lives.~ ~ ~
This morning I considered putting some laundry on the line. Am I ever glad I didn't. About 10:45am the clouds opened up and spilled forth their contents! I haven't seen or heard rain like that for a long time. Within minutes, the gutters were overflowing.
Our neighbor's house
Because of the immense amount of rain, a poorly-made seam (by the previous owners) started leaking into our house. We dealt with leaking after we first moved in but haven't had to deal with it since Jeremy and Adrian (we originally bought our house with Adrian and his wife, Patty; we bought out their portion this past fall) did a temporary (3-5yrs) repair. As soon as I discovered the dripping by the back door I knew what I had to do.
After setting up my kids (thankfully the little guy I take care of was napping) with their TV shows, I went outside to conquer the rain. I was armed with my rain jacket (it was still raining hard), a plastic kitchen stirring spoon and the telephone (I always figure if something goes wrong at least I'll be able to call 911 - hopefully!). I positioned the ladder, climbed up and onto the roof. Oh the gunk! Decaying leaves, pine needles, small branches, sludge, pine cones, and cold water! Out it all came allowing the water to flow!
I decided I was finished when I was drenched and cold, the phone was ringing in my jacket pocket (Jeremy was checking in on how the leak was going - go figure!) and "my" little guy's grandma was here to pick him up. The leaking stopped! I saved the day!





5 comments:
Woohoo! Way to go Mrs Fix it!! Way to save the day. We'll be praying you don't get sick now from your little episode!! And after hearing your tales from the farm...we'll get you converted yet! :)
Love, Pam (proudly born and raised on a good old prairie farm in Saskatchewan!!) See you soon!!
Great job, Leanne! You're so brave :)
Sounds like a fun couple of days for you. I am proud of you even getting as close to the cows as you did. I do remember you gagging when we had to use an outhouse when we were younger. Congrats on unclogging your gutter. It doesn't sound like a very fun job, but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Love Karen (sis)
I love your husband pre-requisite list. God has a good sense of humor in picking our mates, doesn't He? :) I didn't want a hunter, but hey, I like the guy God picked out regardless of his outdoor tendencies! :)
Email me if you want the code for the bridge animation. I got it from Sita Henderson at Sita's Sanctum.
Thank you Leeanne for your encouraging comment and especially for your wonderful testimony. It is so true, if we will just step out and be authentic and vulnerable God blesses that above and beyond measure.
Susan
Post a Comment