Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Memory Verse Monday

Memory Verse Monday
(on Tuesday!)

I spent yesterday trying to figure out which verse I should memorize. I could just pick a verse but I really wanted to know that God was wanting me to memorize it. Well, I couldn't find one so I just left it.

Back in the fall I made a commitment to have a closer relationship with Jesus. My excitement for reading the bible is back and my desire to hear from God has increased. I am trying to stay committed to reading my bible and prayer with the intent of listening. Things have been going well and I have seen God working. I have asked forgiveness for things, trusted God, and now it seems that I am at the next stage of getting closer to Him.

Jeremy and I have recently been asking ourselves "What are our non-negotiables?" We have been praying and seeking God as we try to answer this question. "What are our non-negotiables with our faith? with what we believe God is saying to us?" Such a weighted question. As we began answering the question, we found there to be a ripple effect happening. If we believe this, then this will affect that, which in turn will affect that...! Currently, Jeremy and I are seeking God and the Scriptures about one of our non-negotiables. As we are processing our way through it we can see how far reaching it can go. That scares me. I don't like change, but as much as I don't like change, I know that obeying God is more important. If God says "Follow Me", then we will choose to follow - even if it means giving up everything we hold dear. That is the part that I am struggling with. Isaiah 43:1b-3 says, "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior". Those verses have encouraged me knowing that whatever decision we make, God will be with us.

This morning as I opened my bible to spend some time with God, the pages opened to Nahum. I don't remember ever reading the book of Nahum, but I must have because I have a verse highlighted! Chapter 1:7 says, "The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." This is just what I needed! Encouragement! A reminder that the Lord is good and that He cares for those who trust in Him. I can trust that He will take care of us even if following through with our non-negotiable means big changes. I know that His plan is the best one - even if it doesn't make sense to us at the time (or ever).

So, I have decided to make Nahum 1:7 my memory verse for the week. I will write it on a post-it note and add it with the other verses on the side of my cupboard by the sink.

No comments: