Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Taking My Own Advice

Have you ever overheard someone who was totally oblivious to those around them? Have you ever thought to yourself, "Is that what I sound like when I forget others can hear me?"


I had that experience today and I must say it was a humbling experience. I could hear myself in this struggling mom as she attempted to be in charge of her child. I sat there wanting to offer parenting tips over the fence.


The longer the situation took, the more I realized I have done the same thing with my children. And as I was listening to the very frustrated mom, my head seemed to "have all the answers". The problem is, when I'm in the midst of a situation with my children I don't always remember those great parenting tips! Funny how all logic can slip out the window when you are under pressure.


While hearing this woman struggle to wrap up the situation, I made a mental note to remember this situation the next time I am in her shoes. Perhaps a lot of my parenting frustrations would be relieved if I would only adhere my advice!

2 comments:

Susan said...

This is so true on so many levels, not just parenting!!!! Like when we're thinking "Why are they talking so negatively?" or "Why can't they relax in the Lord?" or "Why are they allowing themselves to worry about that?"
Great post to get me thinking this morning. Thanks!!
Susan

The Olson's: said...

@ Susan: that is so true. I hadn't even thought of it at that next level. Thanks for sharing!
~ Leanne