Monday, December 17, 2007

Memory Verse Monday

Memory Verse Monday
I'm doing a bit of blog copycat-ing here. I originally got the idea of "Memory Verse Monday" from Praying Karen. Then, Sweetmummy picked up on the idea. I have been contemplating it for some time, wondering if this is really something I want to commit to, but the time has come for me to begin this as well. I know I'm starting it at a challenging time (next Monday being Christmas Eve and all), but I'm going to try hard not to skip. So this is how it works:

The aim of "Memory Verse Monday" is to:

1. Memorise a passage (or passages) of scripture.

2. Share why you have chosen the verse or verses that you have.

3. Encourage one another with what God has been saying to you through this verse.

4. Share the ways in which you find remembering verses works for you.

The verse I have chosen to memorize is Isaiah 30:15, "...In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength...". I mentioned this verse a few posts ago. As I was reading through the chapter and came to this verse I really felt this was the verse to commit to memory. As I am trying to listen more to that "little voice in my head" I thought I'd better act.

Step number four says that I need to share the ways in which I find remembering verses works for me. To be honest, it's been a LONG time (Sunday School days, perhaps??!) since I've memorized verses. To start with I plan to write the verse out on a sticky note and put it on the side of my cupboard at my kitchen sink. For some reason I seem to be standing there numerous times of the day. I'll use that as my little refresher. But for seriously memorizing it and allowing God to take the verse deeper within me, my goal is to read it each time I do my devotions and ask God if there is anything He would like to show me regarding this verse. We'll see how that goes. If you have any tips on memorizing verses, please share them with me! I'd love to hear them.

As I said in the "Trust and Wait" post, I desire to have a closer relationship with Jesus. One thing that I felt God saying to me was that I need to be ready for God to show me areas in my life that need to be worked on, areas that I need to repent of and allow Christ to transform. As I was processing this I was getting nervous about all the things that might "pop" up. Who really wants to be shown something yucky about themself? Not me in particular. But God has a wonderful way of encouraging us as we surrender to His plan. As I was pondering on what this "repentance" phase might look like, I was encouraged by another verse in chapter 30, verse 18, "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" Wow! What encouragement! As I wrote in my "Trust and Wait" post, I don't have to worry about being taken through a refining process. Yes, it may hurt; yes, it will most likely reveal some unpleasant things, but in the end, won't it be worth it?! God isn't wanting to take me through this process just to see me squirm, He is doing it because He loves me, He longs to be gracious to me, He wants to show me compassion. How can I resist?

Today when I was doing my devotions, I came across some verses that also challenged me. Isaiah 31:1 says, "Woe to those...who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel, or seek help from the LORD." This was a strong reminder to me to make sure that I am drawing my strength from Christ, not from those around me. Taking encouragement from friends and family is great (God can speak through them to us), but they can never be our sustaining strength that we need to survive the battles that come to us.

Portions of Isaiah 32:9,11 say, "You women who are so complacent, rise up and listen to me; you daughters who feel secure, hear what I have to say! Tremble, you complacent women; shudder, you daughters who feel secure!..." I am not an overly motivated person so complacency is high on my "Things I'd Love to Change About Myself" list. These verses challenged me on that though. I especially liked the part that says, "rise up and listen to me". That phrase gives me the picture of preparing for a job to do - rise up! Listen for the instructions and be prepared to take action.

Rise up and listen to God, seek help from the Lord and trust Him!

No comments: