Has it really been a month since I've written on here?!
I'm sitting here waiting for the kids to finish their supper (yup, it's a late one) & hop into bed, so I figured I might as well write a quick update. I can't even remember what I wrote in my last post so forgive me if I repeat myself!
Things here have been rather chaotic lately. Where do I start?
We are wrapping up our first week of Spring Break (this week is technically a "School Closure Days" as a way to for the school district to save $$ & next week will be the official Spring Break). I've been very steady with my business & am seeing the results of my work paying off. So far this year, we've been able to buy Daniel & myself new glasses & we'll be redoing mine & Jeremy's bedroom closet soon - all with my earnings from Epicure.
Jeremy continues to work hard at his work. He is off this week - only a couple more days to go. We originally wanted to visit some friends in Alberta but finances didn't allow for that, which in the end worked out for the best. Jeremy's Grandma passed away so we headed to the Island for the funeral last weekend.
The kids are now tucked in bed & sleeping. I'm in the midst of a bad cold (achy, chills, congested head, swollen glands, etc) so I'm feeling the need to sit & drink some tea. I'll intersperse my sips with some typing.
On the Saturday, we headed to Victoria with my parents & did the "Be a Tourist in Your Home Town". Each year, Victoria hosts this, allowing people to purchase tickets for only $10 each & then tour a number of different places for free or for a reduced price. Because we bought enough for the group rate we only had to pay $8 each. We visited Miniature World, the Royal Wax Museum and the Undersea Gardens. It was a full day but was lots of fun, despite the freezing winds that whipped through the city. We even had snow a couple times that day! We came home Monday but missed the ferry due to a major snow fall. My parents had 6" in their driveway by the time we were packed & ready to head out. It was slow going. If we were tempted to speed up, we were quickly reminded to stay slow from all the vehicles in the ditches, upside down, smashed, etc. We even witnessed a pick-up truck rear-ending a car right beside us on the highway and a 4 or 5 vehicle accident on the side of the road, one of them being a hearse! Thankfully it was empty & it didn't look like it was needed to carry any bodies away from the scene. Yup! It was crazy weather & needless to say, my stomach was in knots till we hit Nanaimo & most of the snow was melted. By the time we reached the ferry terminal, the roads were wet but clear & the sun was shining. Driving off the ferry it looked like the mainland hadn't even had any snow (they received a dusting that morning). We made it home safe & sound!
The kids started free swimming lessons on Tuesday & just finished today. They both loved it and were excited each day. Now to maintain that excitement & put them in lessons again.
I had a doctor's appointment this week. I had a medical concern, but thankfully the doctor had good news and all is well. And seeing as the week would have been boring with just one doctor appointment, Daniel & Becca had one too!
We had another appointment with our pediatrician for Daniel. He's been experiencing some side effect from his new medication. He has been having trouble concentrating, wrestless, "not getting it", and so on. It was really affecting his time at school so we met with the school psychologist, his teacher, Teacher's Assistant, Learning Assistance teacher and some other lady (not sure who she was but I assume she has something to do with learning assistance) last week before going to the Island. They were quite concerned for Daniel & wanted to make sure we were all on the same page. His last 2 days of school last week seemed to better, with better concentration, etc. This week he seems to be good as well but he's also not in a scheduled environment like school, so we'll know for sure when school starts again in another week. The only other side affect we seem to be dealing with is a really bad rash. It's all over his body & is very sore. The pediatrician says to give it a couple more weeks to see if it goes away (as the other side affects have done). If not, then we look into things further. In the meantime, we're being very careful with how we touch Daniel & he's being very careful with getting dressed & undressed. He's such a good sport with hardly any whining. It also seems that we've found a good dosage for Daniel as he hasn't had any seizures for the past week or so.
Becca also had a doctor's appointment this week. Our family doctor referred her to a Nose, Throat & Ear specialist to have her tonsils looked at. Becca's tonsils are almost kissing! They are huge & her breathing is often laboured, especially while sleeping. It didn't take long for the specialist to examine her & see that she definately needs to have her tonsils & adenoids out. I signed papers yesterday at the appointment, so we will be hearing in the next week or so when Becca's surgery date will be. Most likely it will be in about 2 months. I'm not looking forward to the actual surgery & recovery, but I'm so glad she's going have it done as I'm hoping this will improve her breathing. Maybe she'll even be able to breathe through her nose & smell things for the first time!
Lets see...what else is there to share?! Jeremy has had this week off & had a long TO DO list. It wasn't till yesterday that he was able to start working on his list. And as always, when Jeremy puts his mind to something, he doesn't stop till he's accomplished it. Our van is now fixed & clean, our garage/rec room now has heat & blinds on the windows (just in time as we have people sleeping in there tonight!), Jeremy has bought a used dishwasher for our basement suite as that one died. Hopefully tomorrow it will get installed. The last big thing on the list is our bedroom closet. But that will have to wait as the cupboard set we want is currently out of stock. Oh it feels good to have things getting done!
Well, I've finished two cups of tea & my bed is calling me. It's 11:16pm & my parents & entourage (their international student, my aunt & uncle & their youngest son - 16yrs old) will be here in about 45 mins. We have to finish getting beds ready & tidying up. Life is never dull here at the Olson's!
I'm not going to proof this so please excuse any mistakes! Until next time...!
Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
3 days ago





3 comments:
Thanks for the very informative update. Boy Jeremy really did "get with it". Yes, it feels so good to get things marked off the to-do list. I've been getting all my grandkids outgrown clothes ready for a garage sale. I pressed clothes for 3 days in a row!!!! We had bags and bags of clothes and 1/2 of them barely worn. My son was just going to not do anything with them. What I can't sell we'll give to a charity.
Praying for your son and the medication issues. I had my tonscils out when I was in the 6th grade. Have never missed them!!!
Susan
Wow, that's a lot to process with your kids and their health. I'm hoping and praying that you'll be able to find answers and that all of you will feel peace amidst all of this. Good for Daniel for no whining - I think I'd whine if I had a rash all of my body! Icky. Say hello to Jeremy for us :) Hoping you're well.
Hi Leanne, so glad to find your blog, i just randomly found it on yvonnes blog and as i started to read your latest post i was like wait a minute i know these people. Glad you have been able to find some type of medication to prevent the seizures from happening. It is pretty scary as my sister Sonja's little girl had a seizure this past fall and was not responsive for like 15minutes. all test came back fine but they put her on meds anyways for the next two years. thankfully no other seizures have occurred. I hope and pray that the rash will subside and the medication will work. I also will keep your little girl in my prayers as you wait for date and have the surgery. It's tough as a mom to see your kids suffer. I had a hard time holdign Janae down for her stitches two weeks ago. But i know that God will bring you comfort and the strength you need to get through this time. Take care
Christy
Post a Comment