A few years ago I bought a book called "Simplify Your Life" by Marcia Ramsland (http://www.organizingpro.com). The title itself seemed to shout out at me! It is a book on getting organized and staying organized. There are a number of concepts that I have tried to adopt (I think it's time to blow the dust off the book and refresh my memory!) but the one that has stood out to me the most has been the chapter called "Simplify the Holidays".
Marcia writes, "Every year, one particular event occurs eight weeks before Christmas. Do you know what that is? It is Halloween. That event is important to note because you can use those eight weeks from October 31 to December 25 as a structure to annually simplify and strategize your preparations."
It has taken me a couple years to really implement it, but last year I decided to follow Maricia's guidelines and it was wonderful! Usually I am mailing my Christmas cards around New Year's - one year it became a Valentine's Day letter because I sent it out so late! But last year, I had all my Christmas letters out by the first week of December! What a relief to know that was checked off my list of things to do!
So, with yesterday being Halloween, I thought I would share with you something that really helped me last year. Marcia suggests creating an eight-week holiday calendar with the days of the week at the top and the week number (8 weeks before, 7 weeks before, 6 weeks before...) listed down the left side, adding Christmas week and New Year's week as well. Then, fill in important dates (Halloween, Christmas programs, dinners with friends & family, Advent, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve...). Doing this helps you to see the next eight weeks at a glance. Then Marcia suggests the following:
8 weeks before: shop & wrap 1/3 of your gifts
7 weeks before: shop & wrap 2/3 of your gifts
6 weeks before: finish shopping & wrapping gifts
5 weeks before: start planning for overnight company & vacation time
4 weeks before: put up outdoor decorations and write Christmas cards
3 weeks before: Set up the Christmas tree & decorate indoors; mail gifts & cards
2 weeks before: attend & host parties; bake & clean
1 week before: grocery shop for Christmas meals & make final preparations
She adds more info and tips but that is the general idea of organizing the next eight weeks. I really liked how I could look at my organization calendar and see where we had time to get together with friends (including those we don't often see throughout the year). And I didn't feel stressed wondering how everything was going to get done. I knew that this week I am concentrating on finishing up shopping for gifts and wrapping them, and that next week I don't have to think "what are we going to buy ???".
If nothing else, I hope this post helps you to feel that there is a way to not just survive the holidays but to really enjoy them and to have time to remember why we celebrate this time of year.





1 comment:
What a quick and easy way to keep life simple! I think I may have to implement these steps myself. So...What do you want for Christmas?!? Karen (sister)
Post a Comment