Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Will Walk By Faith

This morning we joined the thousands of other Christians in North America and went to church. This is still new for us to attend church on Sunday morning. The church we've been attending for the past 12 years has met Saturday nights for about nine years now, so getting up early Sunday mornings is still new for us!

I've been struggling this past week with being able to let go of our church family. I am confident in the fact that God has called our family on a different path than them. I don't question that at all, but despite that confidence it hasn't made it any easier for me to emotionally let go and open up to a new group of people, a new family.

This morning we attended the same church as last weekend. In some ways it was nice to have that familiarity rather than attending a different church every Sunday. As I sat down, waiting for the service to begin, my heart was still not ready to "make the switch". Yesterday as I was doing my bible reading, I prayed that God would speak to me in some way. Nothing of significance jumped out at me. This morning, one of the songs during the worship time spoke to my heart. It was a song by Jeremy Camp called "Walk by Faith", from the album "Stay". These are the words that spoke to my heart (for the full lyrics, click here):

Will I believe you when you say
Your hand will guide my every way?
Will I receive the words You say
Every moment of every day?

Well I will walk by faith
Even when I cannot see
Because this broken road
Prepares Your will for me

How perfect are those words?! "Will I believe You when You say, Your hand will guide my every way?" At that moment, I realized that even though I trusted God to take our family on another path, I wasn't FULLY trusting Him. I kept thinking, "maybe things will change, maybe things will go back to how they used to be...". Remember, I am the person who does not like change! Reading those lyrics on the screen this morning made me stop and write them in my journal.

After the service as we were visiting with people, one of the men commented to Jeremy and I that although they are more than happy to have us visiting their church, the last thing he wants is us to feel pressure to join. Somehow, that struck a chord within my heart. Tears welled up in my eyes. I can't really explain it but God used this man's words to help me feel at peace about where we are on our journey. I don't know if this will be our new church family, but I now have peace that this road we're on, broken or confusing, is part of the process of God revealing His will for our lives.

Well I will walk by faith
Even when I cannot see
Because this broken road
Prepares Your will for me


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the video. Your thoughts reminded me of a hymn we sang in church yesterday "Nothing is impossible when you put your trust in God". There is nothing to hard for God when we put our trust in Him. I'm glad you are already on that path, and I continue to pray for His leading in your lives. Karen (sis)

About Nancy said...

My heart goes out to you as you search for a new church. A few years back our church had some difficult issues come up and the Lord led us to leave. We felt "homeless" for many months until we found our new home.

I pray the Lord will provide for you in due time. Until then, keep your eyes on the Lord. As the Israelites wondered in the desert, God provided them with a cloud by day and fire by night. He'll do the same for your dear family!

In Him,
Nancy